Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

What is HHW
HHW are corrosive, flammable, or other hazardous chemicals found in homes and garages that require special disposal.
RICWMA currently partners with the Waste Commission of Scott County to accept Rock Island County residents' household hazardous waste. This service is available year round and is FREE to all residents of Rock Island County.

There are no disposal fees, and no appointment is needed to take household hazardous waste to the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility located at 5640 Carey Avenue, Davenport, IA. Phone number: (563) 386-9575.

May-September Hours of Operation 
Monday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. 

October-April Hours of Operation
7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday

Open 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. year round the first Saturday of every month.

Material can be brought to the facility any time during business hours, which can be found on the Waste Commission of Scott County's webpage or by calling (563) 386-9575.
HHW items accepted at the facility include: Antifreeze and car fluids, drain openers, oven cleaners, household chemicals, spot removers, paint removers, stains and varnishes, epoxies and adhesives, weed killers, insecticides, pool chemicals, gasoline and kerosene, old gas grill propane tanks, fluorescent light bulbs, lighters, and medical sharps.*
*This list is not exhaustive and is subject to change.
What about latex paint?
The good news is latex and other water-based paints are not hazardous – just messy. That means you don’t need to make a trip to a special facility to dispose of it. Just remove the lid from the can and let the paint dry out. This will take a few days. Once it has dried, you can place the can in your regular trash bin with other waste for disposal.
I have something I’m not sure should go in the trash, but it is not on the list. What do I do?
If you have questions about how to dispose of other material not listed as acceptable for HHW disposal, call RICWMA at (309) 788-8925.